Wednesday, April 22, 2020

Thankfulness in Unusual Times

   While I have written about some of the struggles in this season of lock-down, I also have so much to thank God for. As I am up early in a quiet house I want to take the time to thank God for the many blessings this season holds. Generally when I can start my day with thanksgiving, this helps my overall perspective. I remember the song I used to sing as a child:
"Count your blessings, name them one by one. Count your blessings see what God has done..." 
   First, I am thankful for the people in my home. I am thankful for the amazing family God has given me. I am thankful that God has given us the opportunity to include two close friends in our family during this season. I am thankful for the many ways our family is growing through this season. The kids are all learning to cook more. We are all learning to do different chores. And mostly, we are all learning how to grow in patience, grace and love.. No it isn’t always easy. Actually, it isn’t usually easy, but it is good. 

   Secondly, I am thankful that we are here. Yes, there are times when I long for convenience and for life to be a little easier, but there are also many ways that being here at Good Shepherd’s Fold in Uganda is a gift. Since no one is permitted to leave or come, we are all in this together. We can still go to the playground, visit and play with friends, and even get exercise jogging around campus. I know so many people who are longing for interaction with someone outside their home, but we are blessed to have so many of these opportunities. We are even able to get together with other team members individually or in very small groups. When so many long for that community, we are certainly blessed to have this gift.

  Being here as also given us unique opportunities to serve. GSF has partnered with the district government to provide food for people in our village. Many people in Uganda are without work due to COVID restrictions and are without money for food. God has generously provided for those needs through GSF and the people who contribute to this ministry. Some of our family members have had the opportunity to help pack food to be distributed to those in need. We are thankful to be a small part of the work God is doing.

   Finally, I am thankful for the ways that God is using these uncertain times to teach us to put our trust in him. When we feel like we have life "under control" we rarely see our need for full daily dependence on the Lord. These days when everything feels crazy and the future unpredictable can teach us to cling to our Lord in greater dependence on Him. He is our true hope and source of peace and joy.
The LORD is my rock, my fortress and my deliverer; my God is my rock, in whom I take refuge, my shield and the horn of my salvation, my stronghold. (Psalm 18:2)
Many songs that I have learned in the past have been coming to my mind these days. Here are two songs this passage brings to mind.
"You're my Rock, in a world that's so untrue. Lord I'm holding onto you, 'cause you're my Rock. You're my Rock Lord Jesus."
"On Christ the solid Rock I stand; all other ground is sinking sand. All other ground is sinking sand." 
While I do have so many blessings, the most important is that Jesus Christ is my Rock and my Salvation. I can trust in Him. He is faithful and good in the midst of so much uncertainty in the world around. The sinking sand of our delusions of control has been revealed. I want to stand on the true Rock and rest in His control. It is my prayer that God continues to use this time to draw people, myself included, into a greater dependence upon Him. May we all be fully grounded in the Rock and find our security and peace in Him. 

No comments:

Post a Comment