Saturday, May 16, 2020

My Shield

“Thou O Lord, art a shield about me. You’re my glory, you’re the lifter of my head.” (Psalm 3:3)
I learned this verse as a song many years ago and it has been playing on repeat in my mind for weeks now. As we walk through this pandemic, I have been thinking about why this verse has been such a comfort to me. 

When I was younger I would often wake in the night with overwhelming fears. After years of struggling, someone suggested that in those times I should focus on God’s protection around me. I would remember that God was a “shield about me” and would picture in my mind a bubble of his protection, almost like a force field from sci-fi cartoons. I think many of us wish that God’s shield would protect us from all disease and difficulties like the force field Violet is able to generate in the Incredibles movies. I have heard some people jokingly talk about everyone moving around in big bubbles or giant hamster balls to protect them from exposure to this virus that is wreaking havoc across the globe. 

But if this verse doesn’t mean that God will create a force field around us to keep us safe from this virus and other suffering, what does it mean? This Psalm was written by King David as he fled from his son, Absalom. David knew that God was his protection and glory, even when his own son was trying to kill him. But has God promised to protect us from anything bad happening? No. The Bible is filled with statements about how God is with us and working in our lives in the midst of trials. But as I think of how this “shield” applies today, I am reminded that whatever trials God allows past this shield, He will use for my good. I pray that my family will be spared from COVID 19, but if God allows one of my family to get sick, He will work for our food in the midst of it. 

As I reflect more on this shield of protection, I am now  thinking of it as the shield of God’s goodness. It doesn’t mean that no bad thing will ever happen to me or my loved ones. But it does mean that God is good and is working for our good in whatever he allows. I am reminded of another song that has been an encouragement to me during this time, “Sovereign Over Us” by Michael W. Smith. The bridge seems particularly poignant.
Even what the enemy means for evil
You turn it for our good
You turn it for our good and for Your glory
Even in the valley, You are faithful
You're working for our good
You're working for our good and for Your glory
This morning I saw a beautiful picture of what it means for God to be our shield in my living room. When Evie woke this morning, she ran right to her Daddy for comfort and protection. We currently have a little puppy that likes to nibble on everything and everyone, so Evie often uses Mommy or Daddy as a “shield” to protect her. We love her so much and want what is best for her. Sometimes that means picking her up to protect her from the puppy, but sometimes it means teaching her how to stand her ground and train the puppy. As her parents, we want her to run to us for protection, but we also want to equip her to handle life’s challenges. Of course the analogy breaks down at some point, but the protective love We feel for our children is just a small picture of the amazing love of God for us.


As we walk through this pandemic and the lockdown here in Uganda, it is good for me to focus on the goodness of our Lord and the ways that he is working for my good in the midst of these challenging times. I pray that God will lift my head to focus on His glory and goodness. I pray that I will run to Him for comfort and protection in difficult times. I pray that whatever challenges you are walking through today, God will remind you that He is your living Father, your shield, your glory and the lifter of your head. And I pray that in his grace, He will give us glimpses of the good He is doing in the midst of our struggles. 

No comments:

Post a Comment