Wednesday, July 8, 2020

Preparing for the Unknown

This COVID-19 pandemic has changed the way we all look at the future. There are so many things that we thought we could plan. For example, will we be meeting with our students in person or only through distance learning? We are scheduled to begin our next semester in 3 weeks and we are trying to plan for the unknown. Here in Uganda, the government has not given schools permission to reopen. We have seen other countries that have reopened only to close after having significant outbreaks at schools. It is difficult to know what to expect.

In addition to these unknown factors, we are waiting for some of our teachers to be able to join us. One of our teachers has been able to schedule a flight for returning Ugandans and Foreign residents with valid visas. While she will be travelling soon. She is required to go through two weeks of quarantine and then testing before being released. Another teacher will be new to Uganda, and we do not know when the government will permit new people to come to Uganda as the borders are still closed.

As David and I desire to provide the best possible education to our students, we are trying to work on plans for how we will proceed with distance learning and with the possibility of meeting in person. I have spent many hours working on various schedules and possible solutions. We have ordered curriculum materials through a shipping company and hope that they will arrive on time. We are seeking to adapt and prepare as best we can with so many unknowns.

I can often feel overwhelmed trying to figure out how this all will go, but I am learning that what I really need is not to solve every potential problem. Yes, I should prepare as best I can for the school year ahead, but ultimately, my hope is not in my plans. My hope is in the One who holds the future in His hands.

When I was in high school, my basketball coach encouraged us to focus on one verse throughout the season. It was Psalm 20:7.
"Some trust in chariots and some in horses, but we will trust in the name of the Lord our God."
 Our coach explained to us that chariots and horses were what were often used for battle and that having those would protect a people from outside attacks. Our coach also explained that we might put our trust in our preparations or plans, on the basketball court or in life. But he reminded us to instead put our trust in the name of the Lord our God.

As I prepare for a school year of unknowns, I want to do the work God has called me to and prepare well, but not to put my trust or hope in those plans. I want to trust the Lord with our unknowns. I struggle with that and some days I spend too many hours making plans, to assuage my fears. But I am thankful that the Lord brought this verse to my mind and that my coach reminded us of this truth before every basketball game those many years ago. When I begin to worry and feel the need to come up with more solutions to problems that have not yet arisen, I will refocus my mind on the truth that my hope is in the Lord and I will trust in Him. I also appreciate that this verse says "we." This is not just a personal struggle. The people of God need to encourage one another to trust in the Lord. When I forget, please remind me. And I pray that is one encouragement and reminder to you. Let us together put our trust and hope in the name of the Lord our God.

No comments:

Post a Comment