Thursday, September 5, 2013

My new prayer partner

This week a team of women came to GSF to do a program for the housemothers and any other women who might want to attend. During most of their sessions I was also teaching, so I could not participate in it all, but I was able to step in for part of the last two days. When I joined the teaching session it felt like God had brought these women to speak His words just for me. 

During the first teaching session, one of the women spoke about the power of God seen through the life of Jesus. He calmed the storm, healed the sick and even raised the dead. As I sat there I could not stop crying. It was so good to be reminded that God has power over all things. Lately I have had trouble sleeping as I often wake anxious and fearful. So when it was time to divide into small groups for prayer, I asked for prayer that I would trust God and not live with fear and anxiety. I also asked for prayer for healing for my tongue and throat. 

Our prayer group had 6 women and 3 different languages, English, Luganda  and Luo. One woman, named Judith, prayed for me in the Luo language. I did not understand the words, but she prayed with such passion that I felt very loved and encouraged. That night I slept peacefully and did not wake anxious. 

The next day Judith was in my prayer group again. She told me she prayed for me that night. She asked me to write down my request and name so that she could continue praying for me. Then she told me, "This is my work in the church of God, to pray for people." It was so beautiful to hear her perspective. We all have work to do in the church and her job is to pray. Wow! In the American church it can be easy to fall into the mindset of what the church does for me, but Judith reminded me that we all have work to do in the church. And prayer is a very important job! I am so thankful to know that Judith and many of you are praying for me and my family. Thank you for your work! Here is a photo of me with Judith and her daughter. 

1 comment:

  1. So glad for this sweet gift of prayer and also peaceful rest. I will be praying, as well, that the Lord will quiet you with His love and that you would feel Him rejoicing over you with singing, even as you sleep. :) - Zeph. 3

    ReplyDelete