Thursday, May 9, 2013

some good news

If you have not received my email, or read it on facebook, I have recently been diagnosed with high-grade squamous dysplasia on my tongue. This is apparently an advanced form of pre-cancer that needs to be addressed before we move overseas. I know that with this title you are expecting to hear good news about my medical situation, which you will, but I could not write a post about "good news" without talking about The Good News first. Even if you have heard this a gazillion times, please do not skip this part. If you are a close friend of mine you have probably heard some portion of Romans 8 come out of my mouth. This chapter of the Bible is one of my favorites beginning with "There is therefore now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus," and ending with the good news that "nothing will be able to separate us from the love of God in Christ Jesus our Lord." But stuck in the middle of the chapter is a promise that God works all things for the good of those who love him (vs.28) and then a set of verses that bring me great comfort.
What then shall we say to these things? If God is for us, who can be against us? 32 He who did not spare his own Son but gave him up for us all, how will he not also with him graciously give us all things?
These verses do not guarantee healing, or an easy life, or any of that. But I know that the God of the universe is for me and He reminds me that I can trust Him with the future! He shows us how much He loves us by sending His own Son to take the the consequence of my sin so that I can be adopted into His family and given His perfect righteousness.  This is The Good News! I am loved. I am cared for. I have eternal life with God.
I also have more good news. I am a part of the family of God. I have had probably a hundred emails, texts, and phone calls from my brothers and sisters in Christ in the past two days. From the time I received the phone call asking me to come in to the office until last night (about 30hours) I had 7 dear friends come over to be with me. I am not only loved by my Heavenly Father, but I am so thankful to be loved by you all, His hands and feet.
And finally, the good news of a sooner appointment with the Otolaryngologist. My initial appointment has been moved to May 23rd. I have also asked to be on the list to call if there are any cancellations. So please continue to pray that I will get an appointment even sooner, that the doctor will know the best way to treat this in order to prevent it from becoming cancer, and that all of this will be able to be taken care of in time for us to leave for Uganda on July 1st. Thank you for all of your prayers and words of encouragement. I will keep you posted!

1 comment:

  1. What an encouraging word! Lisa so glad to hear also that your appointment was moved to an earlier date. Jonas and I have been reading your updates and are praying for you, your family, and the children at Good Shepherds Fold. Thank you for sharing your journey with us. Love, Melissa

    ReplyDelete