Saturday, October 26, 2013

10 out of every 10

Recently a team of Americans was here in Uganda and doing evangelism. I had the opportunity to go with them to the women's prison here in Jinja as they shared the gospel through pictures and hand motions along with an interpreter. they not only shared how to trust in Jesus for salvation, but also gave a pictorial history of redemption. It was good to be there. Here in Uganda women who have children under the age of 2 also care for their babies in prison. Children are generally weaned around age 2, but before then other family would probably not be able to feed the baby since formula is so expensive. While the women sat and participated in this presentation, I cared for their crying babies, at least the ones who would come to me. One little boy was terrified of me, probably because of my skin color. I loved just holding those little ones, praying for them and their mothers while carrying them around outside. (Cameras are not permitted; sorry I don't have any photos.)

This team also was allowed to share the gospel at several schools. They shared the true statement that 10 out of every 10 people die. After their school presentations the team leader noted that Americans respond to that statement with a bit of surprise, but Ugandans know that all too well. Death is a familiar thing in a country with so much poverty, not to mention AIDS and malaria. 

I am not certain whether moving to Africa, or being diagnosed with a pre-cancerous lesion on my tongue, or becoming middle-aged has brought about this change, but I have become much more aware of the reality of my own mortality. This earthly body will one day perish. 

For Job, he realized the "life is but a breath," as he experienced many trials. (Job 7:7) My trials pale in comparison to Job's, but even just being diagnosed with pre-cancer made me realize that I will not live forever. 

To be honest, at first these thoughts about my mortality brought about great fear. I was not afraid of what would happen to me when I die. I am certain that I will have eternal life with God. John 3:16 says, "For God so loved the world that he gave his One and only Son, that whoever believes in him will not perish, but will have eternal life." I trust in Jesus as my Savior and know that i will have eternal life with Him. Instead my fears had been more about what would happen to my family if I was gone. Who could ever love my husband and children as much as I do? But then I realized how foolish I was. God, the One who brought them into his family through the sacrifice of His Son, loves my family more and better than I could ever love them. He is working for their good! Whatever plan He has for their lives I can trust Him with it. 

Lately, I have noticed that I am thinking more of life in terms of wanting to make the most of the time God has given me. When I think of making the most of my time on this earth, two main things come to mind. First, I want to love well. God has brought people into my life and given me the privilege of living out His love in their lives. I want to do that as best as He enables me and in a way that points them to His perfect love. In particular, I hope that my children will better know the love of the Heavenly Father because of my love for them. (Romans 8: 35-39) Secondly, I want to do the work God has prepared for me to do for His kingdom. (Ephesians 2:8-10) I don't know how to describe well this feeling that I have here at GSF other than to say that this is what God made me to do. I have a peace and joy here that is unexpected. I am not saying that I am always smiling and skipping around and life is just perfect here. Much to the contrary, but I am thankful to be confident that this is the work God has for us to do right now. 

It is so easy for our comfortable lives to lull us into thinking that this life is about me being happy or comfortable or people liking me. But none of those things will last. I am thankful that God has brought uncomfortable circumstances into my life to help me have a better perspective. I know that I often lose focus, either falling into the temptation to live for my own pleasure and comfort or living in fear that I will not have those things, but I am thankful that the God who began a good work in me will carry it on to completion in the day of Christ. (Philippians 1:6) I want to be able to say along with the apostle Paul, "For me to live is Christ and to die is gain." (Phil. 1:21) 
I think a photo of a sunset is the best picture for this post. The sunrises and sunsets here are so beautiful. My photo does not do it justice. 

1 comment:

  1. Hi Lisa,
    I wanted to let you know that I just posted a $1000 donation on the Global Outreach site from your friends at Boca Christian and Chris & I. I know that you have some added expenses coming up with your trip to the states. God bless you and your family in your faithfulness to His call.
    XXXOOO
    Dianne

    ReplyDelete