Monday, December 9, 2013

A rough week

Last week was a particularly challenging one for me. The week began with the poles bringing electricity onto campus being cut down (no one knows why) my phone freezing up, and saying goodbye to my friend and prayer partner who is moving up North with her 3 children to be with family since her husband has left her. I also got a 24 hour stomach virus or something.

I went to town and found that it would take several days to fix my phone, which turned out to be nearly the whole week. The back-up generator which usually runs 6-9 hours a day when power is out, was not working properly. A little girl here was diagnosed with an incurable disease. I was unable to find the medicine in Jinja to help with managing her symptoms. While I was in town looking for the medicine at several different pharmacies, I slammed my left index finger in the van door. My whole nail turned black and as they say here, "It has been paining me." Throbbing actually. So we decided to drain it to relieve a bit of the pressure. Sharon graciously offered to use a drill bit to put a hole in my nail to drain the blood. Draining it has decreased the pain, but I continue to hit it on things. 

It was in the midst of these frustrating circumstances that I began rereading the book of Philippians. I know that later in the book, the apostle Paul discusses contentment and rejoicing always, but chapter 1 really struck me that day. Paul was saying that his imprisonment has furthered the gospel. His concern was not that he was mistreated and had to suffer, but he had his focus on what God might accomplish for the sake of His Kingdom through these circumstances. He even goes on to say that this life is "labor," but he knows that God is working for a purpose in the midst of it. 

I wonder how I could view my circumstances with more of a kingdom perspective? I have no idea how God will use this little girl's sickness or my friend's difficult situation or a finger injury for his kingdom, but I am going to cling to the promise of Romans 8:28ff.  "God is working all things together for the good of those who love Him, who are called according to His purpose." 

By the way, my finger is looking much better now that I have drained it. It isn't all black anymore, but it is still a bit gross. :) 


No comments:

Post a Comment