Friday, December 27, 2013

Light


    There have been many things making me think about the topic of light recently. The most tangible is that we have not had electricity on campus at GSF other than when running the generator. So we have literally noticed the difference between darkness and light. Of course, this time of year we also are talking about the coming of Jesus, the Light of the World. We also have been having more involvement with our church in Uganda, the Light of the World Church. We have also been discussing using solar power for electricity in the house we will be building. Many passages of Scripture also talk about light. So I thought I would just write a bit about light and darkness. 
   In the evenings at GSF when the generator turns off, it quickly becomes very dark. I have sometimes woken in the night and stumbled around feeling the walls trying to find the bathroom. It can be frustrating and unsettling to use the toilet without any light since I have heard stories of animals in homes in Africa. I think Melissa can tell a story of a cobra in the toilet in Central African Republic, and Claudiaq told me of killing a snake in her house in the night. Many of us have had bats in our houses. And I have found some of those small, harmless blind snakes, which are still disturbing. With all that in mind, stumbling around in the darkness is not a great feeling. Living life without Jesus is walking in the darkness. Why not ask for his light in your life this Christmas season?

Isaiah 9 verses 2 and 6 says:

The people who walked in darkness
have seen a great light;
those who dwelt in a land of deep darkness,
on them has light shined. 
For to us a child is born,
to us a son is given;
and the government shall be upond his shoulder,
and his name shall be callede
Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God,
Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace.

     Not only does Jesus shine light into our lives, he also makes us into light. He tells us that we as his people, have the privilege of sharing his light with those around us. Many of us learned a song when we were children:

This little light of mine, I'm gonna let it shine.
This little light of mine, I'm gonna let it shine.
This little light of mine, I'm gonna let it shine, let it shine, let it shine let it shine.  
Hide it under a bushel, NO! I'm gonna let it shine.
Hide it under a bushel, NO! I'm gonna let it shine.
Hide it under a bushel, NO! I'm gonna let it shine. Let it shine, let it shine, let it shine.  
Shine it all over my neighborhood, I'm gonna let it shine.
Shine it all over my neighborhood, I'm gonna let it shine.
Shine it all over my neighborhood, I'm gonna let it shine. Let it shine, let it shine, let it shine.
   I have also written a blogpost about how Light of the World Church is living up to it's name and sharing the light of Christ with those around.  But it is my hope that in my time of travelling and my time in America, God will help me to shine the Light of Jesus there. Each day, there are many opportunities to share the light of Jesus with those around us, and I don't want to hide it under a bushel. No! 

     We are also wanting to use the natural light that God has created to help provide light (and heat) for our family. As we are working on plans for building a house, we have discovered that the demand for electricity on campus exceeds the size of the supply lines. So we will need to build an energy independent home. Near the Equator where sunlight is plentiful it makes sense to use that natural source of energy to supply our home with electricity. We have just begun the process of looking into this, but it will obviously increase our initial expenses for building the home. We do not have a final estimate as we are still working on the house plans. The good news is that it will provide Good Shepherds Fold and our family with housing without the additional cost of electricity. It will also be nice on those weeks when no electricity is flowing through the power lines. GSF also hopes to install more solar hot water heaters. It will probably cost less than $1,000 for our current house (house 1B) to change over to solar power for hot water. That means that we might be able to take warm showers even when the power is out, and it might stay warm longer than 5 minutes! :)



     If you are interested in helping us with the cost of solar electricity for our home you can either mail a check to Global Outreach or click here and then select the donate button which will enable you to contribute via paypal. There are many good opportunities to give at the end of the year, so please do not feel any pressure to help with this solar project. God has provided the funds to build a home for our family, to help care for many others around us, for me to return to the states for medical care, and for all of our family's basic needs. We trust that he will also provide a way to get electricity for our home.

     But more important than finding a way to provide physical light and warm water, I am thankful that God has sent his Son, Jesus, the Light of the World, for us! May you be comforted and encouraged by the Light of his Presence in your lives this Christmas season. He is the Light of the World, our Wonderful Counselor, the Mighty God, the Everlasting Father, the Prince of Peace!


No comments:

Post a Comment