Thursday, April 8, 2021

An Unexpected COVID Blessing


 While this past year has brought many challenges related to the COVID pandemic, today I saw a beautiful blessing. Over the past year I have not been able to join the women in my Buwundo Beads and Crafts group for Bible study, prayer or even purchasing their crafts in person. Since we live on a campus with vulnerable children, we have had to be extra careful about COVID exposure. For me, this has meant limiting my time visiting in the village. In addition, our school has grown and I have continued working as a full-time teacher and administrator. The challenges of teaching in new ways with distance learning and providing support for school families and teachers has taken much of my time and attention. 

Once the government of Uganda allowed churches and small gatherings to resume, I began thinking of ways to shift my involvement in Buwundo Beads and Crafts. We have a close friend, Privah, who is better equipped to serve in this role than I am. She is Ugandan, speaks the language more fluently, knows the culture better, and over the past few years has gone through training to teach the Bible. She is now working on her social work degree. Since she has worked with our family in other roles for seven years, she was was willing to shift her responsibilities and take on the leadership of this group. 


When I went to meet with the women today, I was greatly encouraged. The women are all participating in discussion related to the passage they are studying. One of the women has learned to read from Privah and now is able to read her Bible. Hearing Privah teach these women was so beautiful and encouraging. She does an excellent job of teaching God's Word and addressing real practical ways that it applies to their daily lives. As I left, I was so thankful that God used COVID and additional school responsibilities to help move me more to the backstage and shift Privah into this leadership role. God is gracious and faithful in using challenging seasons to work for good. I am excited to see the way His kingdom is growing. 

No comments:

Post a Comment