Wednesday, April 28, 2021

Sleepless Nights

 I don't know if you are like me, but I sometimes wake in the night worrying about too many things and struggle to fall back asleep. Recently I have been reading the book Anxious for Nothing: Finding Calm in a Chaotic World by Max Lucado. I am really enjoying the book and needing to apply several of his insights. Last night as I lay in bed with a million things running through my mind, I remembered Max's reflection on Philippians 4:8 that I had just read. 

 "Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is commendable, if there is any excellence, if there is anything worthy of praise, think about these things."

He makes the point that what we choose to think about affects the level of peace we experience. He says, "You can be the air traffic controller of your mental airport." I can choose which thoughts I want to dwell on. And God's Word reminds me that one of the secrets to contentment is to focus on the blessings, the gifts. 

As I laid in bed filled with questions and worries, I remembered that I can choose what I think about. I started thanking God for the beautiful sunset that evening, for dinner with my family, for a bed to sleep in each night, for the ways that I see God at work in the lives of each of my family members. I laid in bed thanking God for these things that are excellent and praiseworthy. To be honest, even in the midst of intentionally thanking God, worries would creep in. I had to continually redirect my mind, but eventually the peace of God calmed my mind enough that I could sleep. 

Right now there seems to be so much chaos and so many things in the world that feel overwhelming. The uncertainties associated with the COVID pandemic, have changed life for us all. I just feel exhausted most of the time. I am asking God to help me choose to focus more on His faithfulness and many blessings. In another chapter, Lucado says, "I dare you to expose your worries to an hour of worship." In the midst of the challenges we all face, I pray that God will give us the strength to worship Him and think about the excellent things He has done and is doing. 


This morning’s beautiful sunrise reminded me of this verse.
 “The steadfast love of the Lord never ceases; his mercies never come to an end; they are new every morning; great is your faithfulness.” Lamentations‬ ‭3:22-23‬ ‭ESV‬‬

May we all have eyes to see his mercies this morning and the ability to focus on the true, pure, excellent and beautiful things. 

No comments:

Post a Comment