Sunday, July 11, 2021

Heading East

We wrapped up our time in California in Yosemite National Park. It was beautiful, but the middle of the day got very hot. We had fun cooling off in lakes, rivers and creeks. The water was frigid, but refreshing. It was a beautiful place to explore and enjoy. Standing near the base of giant mountains like Half Dome and El Capitan makes you realize how small you are. 

Today we are driving east through Nevada’s desert, where there is seemingly nothing for miles on end. We drove for hours without seeing people or towns anywhere. It reminds me of how vast this land is. In the midst of understanding how small and insignificant I am in many ways, I have also been amazed at God’s gracious and loving care for me, even in small things. 

Today, as we were driving out of Yosemite, I was praying that I would get to see a bear. I know that sounds like a silly prayer request. I thought about how I recently had a conversation with Evie when she told me she about something she was asking God for. I told her that God can do all things, but He knows what is best for us. Sometimes it is best to give us what we are asking for, and sometimes it is best that He does not give it to us. Either way, He answers our prayers in wisdom and love. I was telling her this because her prayer request is highly unlikely and I didn’t want a “no” on this request to make her think that her prayers didn’t work. After thinking about that conversation, I was wondering if my prayer request about swing a bear was just silly and selfish. Still I kept looking as we were driving out of the park. Then I looked down the hill and I saw it. An adorable brown bear cub climbing on a look and looking up at me! I shouted and my family all tried to look out the window. Except David, of course. Some saw the bear; others did not. I just started clapping and thanking God for that little gift. Here I am so happy after seeing beautiful views and a bear cub! 


Another answer to prayer is that David is feeling much better and has mostly recovered from his illness. Thank you all for praying for him! 

Later in the day, we got an email about a significant anonymous donation. I was astounded at God’s kindness in provision. Life in America is expensive, particularly in California. And this unexpected gift was such a blessing and an encouragement! If you are the generous, anonymous  donor, thank you! This was just another reminder about how our gracious Heavenly Father cares about the details of our lives. 

While I am small and insignificant in this vast land, God cares for me. And He cares for you too. Just ask him and see. You may not get a sports car, but our loving Father will give you what is best. He cares about providing for our needs and He cares about bring joy though blessings big and small, even as small as getting to see a bear cub! 

No comments:

Post a Comment