Sunday, March 9, 2014

In the midst of sickness- a sacrifice of praise

Yesterday was Sunday, the Lord's day, but I was really struggling with wanting to praise and worship. In the morning David woke feeling very ill. I had already been up with the children for a few hours trying to let the younger 3 all help make biscuits, while Elijah cooked eggs and bacon. 

I was really struggling with being impatient and easily angered with messes, arguments and mistakes. It was my hope that David would get up, take over with the children and the kitchen, so that I could step out to the front porch and have time to myself to pray and read God's Word. Instead I found out that I would be handling the morning, the preparation for lunch and taking the children to church on my own. I tried to just press on.

As we got to church I participated in worship because I knew I should, but I was also fighting my irritation with some of my children's behavior. Lately I have struggled with being easily angered. For me, this sin shows itself with my harsh tone over little things like spilled baking powder. I really don't want to be critical and angry as a mother. I want to be full of joy and peace. I have been asking God for the work of His Spirit bringing that fruit in my life. I ask you also to pray for me in that way. Our sermon was about having joy in the presence of The Lord. I ended the service in tears. I really want to live with that joy and not be anxious and easily angered. 

As we returned, I realized that David was getting worse. He has had a fever and several other symptoms that often accompany malaria. I called our Nurse who is on call and she came and tested for malaria. The test was negative, which doesn't necessarily mean that he does not have malaria. The nurse suggested that we send some bloodwork to Jinja to see if perhaps it is a bacterial infection. The results indicated a slight bacterial infection, but he has been much more than slightly sick. 

He has been up much of the night vomiting and feeling achy and feverish. I woke again at 4 something this morning and he is now on the "couch" ( a 2" foam cushion on top of plywood) and he is asleep. If he wasn't feeling achy before, he will be now. Please pray for quick healing for David and for me to have wisdom in how to best care for him.

In the midst of this there were several moments when I realized how blessed we are. In the morning at church, a young woman named Gracie, who has been here at GSF for several months, came to sit with me and helped me with the kids. When I was crying, she was praying with and for me. Another one of the women on the team also came over to encourage and pray for me. We have the Iyas over for Sunday lunch since they live off campus, but are here for Sunday School and church. They cleaned up after lunch so that I could put Zeke down for his nap and tend to David. When we decided to send bloodwork to Jinja, another team member made a special trip into town for us, while someone else came to play with the kids while I worked on dinner prep. A few other team members stopped by to check on David and offer help. Jonathan, our preacher and friend, stopped by and prayed with me and with David. One friend even stayed to help get my kids showered and in bed, reading their bedtime story for me! 

While I am still concerned about David and didn't get a good night's sleep, I am so grateful that I have a supportive encouraging team here. I am also thankful for so many of you who pray for us regularly. Please pray for healing and a speedy recovery for David, and for the fruit of the Spirit for me. Right now, even though I don't feel particularly joyful, I want to offer to The Lord, a sacrifice of praise. He has blessed me with this caring team and is caring for us in the midst of these struggles. God is good, all the time! All the time, God is good!

No comments:

Post a Comment