Monday, March 10, 2014

These are a few of my favorite things...

First of all, I am so glad and thankful to say that David has been fever free and not vomited for over 24 hours! Praise God! The sickness hit him very quickly, but his recovery has been quick also. He is still weak, but feels much better. Thank you all for your prayers! 

As I have been struggling with being easily angered with my children, this verse came to mind. "Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is commendable, if there is any excellence, if there is anything worthy of praise, think about these things." Philippians 4:8

I am sure that there is always something worthy of praise. I am also sure that as a mother I spend much more time thinking about what needs correction than I do thinking about the things God has done in the lives of my children and giving him praise for his work. I am going to write some things that I am thankful to God for about my children. Please don't misunderstand. These are not the boastings of proud mother. This is an attempt to refocus my thoughts on the good God is doing in the lives of my children, rather than being easily irritated by their shortcomings. 

This morning as my children woke, they went right into the little room where we have some toys. They began working together on Lego projects. At first Esther was finding the pieces while Elijah was putting them together. When Ezra woke, they began work on the second set. It was so good to see them playing well together! 

Then Elijah decided to make breakfast for everyone. He has learned to scramble eggs, cook bacon, make toast, and make pancakes from scratch. He has been so helpful to us in the mornings. This morning he made eggs and toast a poured juice and lit the candles on the table. Esther is also learning to cook, but she still needs a bit more assistance lighting the burners, etc.  Here is a picture of Elijah cooking for us. 

Last evening the younger 3 kids watched a video about the Aurora Borealis (Northern Lights). It was just a short episode. When it was over, they turned off the TV without asking for another episode and immediately took out paper and began creating their own Aurora Borealis. While Zeke was coloring he kept saying, "Aurora Borealis. This is my Aurora Borealis." I am thankful for my children's creativity and their good minds. Here is their masterpiece. 

I am also thankful for my children's generous hearts. When David and Zeke went to visit someone at the hospital, they went through the children's ward and Zeke gave away toys to the children there. It is clearly the work of God when a 3 year old wants to give away toys rather than take them. After seeing how happy it made those children, Zeke along with our other children were excited to put together little bags of toys that they can give away when they meet children in need. 

I am so thankful that God is working in the hearts of my children in these ways. I am trying to focus more on these things that are worthy or praise. I hope that today God helps you to see the good things in those around you too. "If there is anything worthy of praise, think about these things." 



1 comment:

  1. I know how you feel, sister. Supper tonight was hard. I love this. I think I'll make one too.

    ReplyDelete