Friday, December 18, 2015

Holiday guests

Here at GSF, we try to give as many children as possible the opportunity to visit with extended family for the holidays. Sometimes these are grandparents or aunts and uncles. But for some of our kids at GSF, there are not any family members that our social workers have found to be capable of caring for the kids over the holiday. In these situations the various missionaries try to spend some special time with these kids. 

We were blessed to be able to have 2 girls who are close to Esther's age over for some family time. It was a very special time together! We began our time by giving the girls a pedicure.
Esther and I worked together to wash, massage, tickle, and lotion their feet. Then we cleaned, clipped and painted their toenails. I even had some fancy stickers to add on! My favorite part was their excitement over being able to soak their feet in warm water. 

We also made homemade pizza and watched a family movie. It was interesting how closely these two girls watched all of our family interactions. They couldn't help but stare when I sat with my husband and when Zeke climbed into my lap. These simple, everyday interactions are not the life experience of kids who live in an orphanage. As we watched the movie Inside Out together, I couldn't help but think about what some of their "core memories" are like. I prayed that their brief time with our family might also be a "core memory" for them. I gave them extra hugs and tucked them in along with my children.
As I told them that I loved them, I saw their faces light up. How I wish that all these children could be in loving families! In this Advent season, the brokenness of this world reminds me to look forward to Jesus' second coming when he will make all things new! I am thankful to have the opportunity to show His love to these kids in the time until then. 

No comments:

Post a Comment