Sunday, July 7, 2013

Our first Sunday in Uganda

Today we attended Acacia Baptist church for worship. It is a church with a muzungu (white Westerner) pastor that several local missionaries attend. When we came in, a Ugandan man in front of me told me that I must be a very powerful woman to have these four children, that I was like an African woman. That was a very nice compliment, although it does not feel true to me today. 

David and I both really missed our church family from Faith Presbyterian and were both in tears at some point. I think this has been the first thing for David that was very hard and sad about this transition. Our children asked lots of questions about why there is not a church building. We met in an outdoor area sitting on plastic chairs. Ezra spent much of the singing time playing in the dirt. He was filthy by the third song. During the sermon children were dismissed to children's church. Elijah went with the older kids. Esther and Ezra together went to a class taught by Katie Davis, author of Kisses from Katie. Afterward she mentioned that Ezra was particularly helpful. That made me very happy to hear. I took Zeke to the Pre-K class. Since he was not comfortable, I stayed with him.  It was taught in two languages targeted at 3&4 year olds, but it was the class I needed. They taught the children about David and Jonathan's friendship. The teacher asked if anyone had a best friend and if anyone ever had to move away from their best friend. (Cue tears) She had the children repeat after her the verse, "A friend loves at all times." Then she had the children repeat "Jesus is my best friend. He is always with me." Those were the words I needed to hear! Jesus is my friend who is here with me and always loves me. I am learning to lean on his friendship more each day. And I want my friends here in Uganda and back in the states to know that I love you all because of Jesus' wonderful love for me. He will continue to fill my heart with His love. 

3 comments:

  1. I was praying for your family this morning, remembering how lonely Sundays can feel when you live overseas. I'm thankful the Lord gave you reminders of His presence. "If I rise on the wings of the dawn, if I settle on the far side of the sea, even there your hand will guide me, your right hand will hold me fast." - Ps. 139:9-10

    ReplyDelete
  2. How great that you've been able to meet Katie Davis! Thanks, again, for your honesty as you begin this new journey. We love you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Praying. Thankful that in week 1 you are already growing closer to Jesus!

    ReplyDelete