Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Ugandan Hospitality

Yesterday it was raining, so I drove my friend Privah home. She and her son normally ride a Boda (motorcycle taxi). Zeke rode along since Abraham, Privah's son is also 2, almost 3. When we got to where they live she invited us to come see her room. They live in a concrete building with maybe 5 separate rooms. Her family lives in the last room of the building. Here room is very clean and cozy. She said they have electricity in the evenings. It comes on sometime after 6pm and then goes off again in the morning. She said that there was no reason for them to need it during the day as they are all away at work and it is very expensive. That makes sense. As we walked to her room, many of her neighbors came to greet us. They were particularly interested to meet the little mzungu. Zeke enjoyed showing off for them all. Here is a photo of Zeke and Abraham on the porch of the building. The yellow jugs are what they use to fetch water. 

We went into her room and sat down to look at photos. She showed me photos of her family, of her growing up, of her wedding and of Abraham when he was little. I learned much about Ugandan culture in that brief hour of looking over photos together. Privah is from Western Uganda and she also showed me the difference in dress between Western and Central/Eastern Uganda. 

After a bit of time inside the boys got a bit stir crazy so we moved out to sit on a mat on the front porch. While we were looking at more photos, Privah sent Abraham to buy two bags of popcorn for Zeke and himself. She had a bowl to put the popcorn in and suggested that Abraham eat out of his bag so that his guest could use the bowl, but he wanted to share the bowl so they put both bags in and "shared" as 2 year olds do so well. ;) Abraham would pull the bowl closer, then Zeke would grab a big handful as both of us mothers were trying to encourage them to not be selfish. Here is a photo of our boys on their front porch. 
Abraham is such a sweet and cheerful little boy. Whenever he sees me he runs up and gives me a big hug! When we first met he called me "mzungu." I told him he can call me "Lisa." Privah said that now, whenever he sees a white woman, he calls out, "Lisa." That made me feel special. He is such a precious boy! 

As we were preparing to go home, Privah said, "I want to give you something to take home from my house." She pulled out a basket with passion fruit and gave me half of all she had. I was so overcome with her hospitality. She was so kind and gracious, welcoming me into her home, and generous buying popcorn and sharing her passion fruit. She gave me directions to return home and called make sure I found my way. I am so grateful for this special time with my sweet friend! 

2 comments:

  1. Glad you guys are doing so well! Sounds like you are assimilating into the culture there. Lynn MacPherson

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really informative and useful information about Ugandan Hospitality, I really appreciated from your posting Thanks dear for sharing nice info with us !

    RCI Timeshare Resort

    ReplyDelete