Thursday, January 30, 2014

Uganda!

We are here! As we landed, it was wonderful to look out the windows of the plane and see the beautiful, lush, green landscape. It is crazy that we drove to the airport in snow a few days ago and now we are back in our tropical climate here in Uganda. I did enjoy seeing the beautiful snow, but I am happy to be back in my sleeveless shirt and skirt. 

Well, it has been a long several days of travel, but the adventure is not quite over. When we landed we realized that our bags did not make it on the flight. I have been told that they will be on the next flight coming from Nairobi which arrives at 2:30 this afternoon. I hope that will be the case. As I filled out the forms, I thought I would go out quickly to find David and ask him if he was ok with sticking around for that. 

As I walked out I didn't see him anywhere. I had to figure out how to get my Ugandan SIM card back in my phone and buy airtime so I could call him. Finally I was able to call, but he did not answer. He called back a few minutes later and found that the van had broken down on his way to come get me. After getting himself and 3 kids out the door by 6am in order to pick us up, he then ended up stranded on the side of the road. He was able to get in touch with a mechanic and our friends, the Lawsons to borrow their van. I don't know how long he was stuck on the side of the road, but he is now working his way through Kampala in heavy traffic to come get us. 

When he arrives we will still have 3-4 more hours to wait until our bags arrive. Kampala traffic is notoriously bad on Friday afternoons, so we will probably have a long ride home too. 

But in the midst of all of this, I am thankful. Thankful to be back in this country that I love. Thankful that I don't have any more overnight flights scheduled for a long time! Thankful for this nice fan and a chance to sit and drink some cold water and for Ezra to have a Mirinda fruity again. Thankful that my family is safely on their way. Thankful to have a mechanic and friends who could help David out today. Thankful that I am able to get my phone working so quickly. Thankful for pain medicine as I am still healing. But mostly, thankful for my God who loves me, has made me his daughter, and is using these trials to teach me. 

2 comments:

  1. Oh Lisa, I love your outlook on circumstances! I know it has been a long few days and you all are ready to be under one roof again! I always enjoy reading your updates as our family considers it a privilege to intercede for yours.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you made it safely! And thankful for your "attitude of gratitiude" to get through the tough cicumstances; it helps so much, doesn't it?!
    So happy that I got to see you and spend time with you while you were here!
    xoxo,
    Jackie

    ReplyDelete